CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2010

From:
Shalin Mehta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:20:09 +0800
Hi Michael,
Top-hat transform may work well. It is morphological filtering
operator, unlike linear filtering operator. MATLAB documentation shows
an example: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/images/imtophat.html

It works like this.
- morphological opening removes structures smaller than given mask
(structuring element) from the image. If you pick up a circular mask
slightly larger than cell, the opening operation will remove cells and
retain background.
- Subtracting the background should then leave cells on 'flat
background'. MATLAB example above removes background from a rice
image.
If background is smoother than cells of interest, above method works
almost always.
ImageJ has morphological opening function under Binary menu (I think).

best
Shalin