CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2014

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 18:07:47 +0200

I agree that the paper is very well written. I especially appreciate it's
well balanced and unbiased, not an add!
I think the errors listed by Andrew are not so serious and most of them are
well explained in the paper: the PSF sharpening with pinhole offset is given
just minor importance and it is shown in Eqs (3) and (5) of box 4 (page 16)
that Gaussian approximation does not show this effect. The z-resolution of
traditional ISM is more important issue, but as I remember it was shown in
some papers that it is the same as regular confocal. Well, the 'Virtual NA
effect' sounds commercial and I would prefer to avoid it.
As to errors, i seems that some minus (-) signs are missing in Eq (5) of box
4, but maybe it's just typesetting problem.
One key thing to allways remember is that if you collect 100 photons in a
pixel, you inevitably get +/-10 photons error. Subtracting two such pixel
gives you 0 +/- 14 photons but blocking the light physically gives you
simply zero (the readout noise of modern cameras is < 1 photon). And the
paper fairly states that regular SIM gives better contrast/superresolution
in thin/sparse samples...
The only thing I'm really missing is sample pictures. They should be able to
get some by now :-).
Cheers, zdenek svindrych