CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2017

From:
Johannes Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2017 16:31:58 +0200

Dear Paul,

please, note that the name of these objective series was - and still is,
although, as far as I know, production has been discontinued -
"Ultrafluar" with "a", NOT "Ultraflu_o_r". When using E-bay or other
sources, as had been suggested in an earlier response by user "Alex GT",
one should nevertheless check out both spellings, since the wrong name
"Ultrafluor" has, specifically in the anglophone world, been used for
decades.

Also, one should note that these objectives, albeit outstanding in
transmission from the limits of VUV and to the IR, do exhibit
comparatively strong axial and lateral chromatic aberrations. Also,
while they are anastigmatic, indeed, the curvature of their field of
view is comparatively strong.

The source of this information is partly Dr. Höcherl at Zeiss, at this
time quite certainly retired since many years, who, in the late 80s and
early 90s let me know a lot of details about these lenses, when my task
had been to built a CLSM for Fura-2 measurements. I had been lucky at
that time to have a 32x Ultrafluar on loan from Dr. Thorbjörn Caspersson
together with a Bausch & Lomb couple of 32x catadioptric objective and
condenser from Dr. Rudolf Rigler, both at the Karolinska Inst. in Solna,
Sweden. Both gentlemen at this time are retired, Dr. Caspersson had
already been in his early 90s at that time. I do not have the slightest
idea who is in charge of these marvelous lenses at this time.

Also, one should take great care when buying old style Ultrafluars,
which still had been made for 160mm tube length microscopes. They will
exhibit strange properties when used on infinity corrected microscopes.
If one, however, gets lenses of the newer type, made for infinity
corrected microscopes, one should also make sure to get the appropriate
tube lens. While the standard tube lens for the Axio-series of
microscopes was a single lens - very tricky and intelligently adapted to
the Zeiss objectives to minimize aberrations -, the tube lens for the
Ultrafluars was an achromatic doublet. Using the Ultrafluars on wrong
tube lengths microscopes or together with an inappropriate tube lens may
render them more or less useless.

Last and possibly not least: Some of these lenses were Glycerin
immersion lenses made for coverslips from SiO2, 200microns in thickness.
While fused silica is optically isotropic, good transmission values for
the deep UV can be attained for coverslips from crystalline quarts, but
these exhibit polarization effects due to the birefringence of the
crystalline material. There was also a 100x/0.95 Ultrafluar dry lens for
cover slip thickness 0, i.e. one for reflected light microscopy on
metals or minerals. I am personally not sure whether there ever had been
any 80x or 120x lenses by Zeiss. If these should be offered on E-bay, I
would, indeed, carefully check the source.

Best wishes,

Johannes

--
P. Johannes Helm