CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:29:24 +0200

Dear All,

<message from a commercial vendor>

> There's no simple answer.  Some people have aimed to use
> deconvolution to go beyond the optical resolution limit.  The best
> example I know is: Carrington, W.A., Lynch, R.M., Moore, E.D.W.,
> Isenberg, G., Fogarty, K.E. and Fay, F.S., 1995.  Superresolution
> Three-Dimensional Images of Fluorescence in Cells with Minimal Light
> Exposure. Science 268, 1483-1487
>

> Commercial deconvolution systems are not usually aiming at that.  The
> aim is to separate in focus and out of focus light and thereby
> achieve optical sectioning in wide field.  Since the light budget is
> always better in wide field than in confocal this has certain
> advantages, but it has the disadvantage that the wide field OTF has a
> 'missing cone' of directions in which no information is present.
> This limits what can be achieved.

In addition to Lutz' remarks, one could say that the widefield missing
cone represents a severe limit on certain frequencies of the object, and
the limit is imposed by diffraction. Depending on the sparseness of the
object, and exploiting extra a priori knowledge besides knowledge of the
PSF like non-negativity, noise characteristics (Poisson noise), possibly
properties of the object itself, it is possible te reconstruct the
missing frequencies -- but not always. Reconstruction of frequencies
outside the bounding box of the widefield OTF is also possible, but
requires good optical conditions and low noise to start with.

To give an extreme example: one can consider localization estimation in
STORM as a special deconvolution case, one where a very powerful bit of
a-priori knowledge is used: there is just one emitter present. The
attainable accuracy then remains controlled by noise and the width of
the PSF, but is much better than the width of the PSF. Deconvolution
with standard methods of widefield images of point objects is also
usually easy.

> The confocal OTF has no missing cone which makes it quite a good
target for deconvolution. The confocal PSF Is far from optimal, being
very streaked out in the Z direction, and deconvolution can do a lot to
improve it. Several people (including me) have advocated 1D
deconvolution in just the Z direction, which can greatly improve image
quality. My papers on this are a bit hard to find but there is an
example in my chapter in Jim Pawley's book. However deconvolution of
confocal images hasn't really caught on as much as it should have.

In the confocal case the theoretical bandwidth is a good deal beyond the
effective, noise determined limit. So there it is very hard to go beyond
the theoretical limit, but improving on the effective bandlimit is
nearly always possible, especially in Z. In my experience, it is often
possible to gain 2x in Z, somewhat less, say 50%, in XY. This means that
you go into the direction of isotropic resolution, but will not reach
it. In good optical condition the measurement volume may go down by a
factor 8.

Lastly, systems like STED which are based on a strong non-linear effect
do not have a hard diffraction imposed bandlimit anymore. They still
have an effective bandlimit, which we find deconvolution can improve
much on.

-- Hans

SVI-Huygens

dr. Hans T.M. van der Voort                           ([log in to unmask])
Scientific Volume Imaging b.v.,             URL: http://www.svi.nl/