CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2007

From:
Sarah Aubut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:56:47 -0400

I recently attended a short course on Basic confocal at the Microscopy
meeting in Fort Lauderdale, and the instructors advised against using
Prolong and all other mountants that contain polyvinyl alcohol as this
causes shrinkage up to 50% in your sample.
What they suggested was something that matched the RI of the sample. One
specific was PBS + glycerol (30%) with 0.25% p-phenylenediamine. DABCO was
also mentioned as an alternative.
I don't know if this information helps at all, but I thought I should
contribute the little that I know!

Sarah Aubut
Lab Technician, Microscopy Suite
Canadian Forestry Service