CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

From:
"Engstrom, Lars" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:56:38 +0000

Turnout at the polls this year was low... but here are the results:
How would you complete this sentence: [...] using confocal and light sheet fluorescence...
Microscopy 78%
Microscopies 22%
N=41 opinionated microscopists

I had the idea that this may be a geographical preference but I really don't have time to identify the location of each IP address. Furthermore, one's current location is not necessarily reflective of their exposure to the English language.

The problem I see of looking at keywords (microscopy and microscopies) in pubmed, filtered by title and or title/abstract, is that microscopic techniques are usually used in a singular context. As others have pointed out, microscopy is used 99% of the time. However, you could also assume microscopy is used in a singular context 99% of the time. Comparing these keywords without context can be misleading.

Having said that, I like microscopy primarily because microscopies does not feel right. The English language has many exceptions and I think this is one.

I did look through a couple pages of titles containing "microscopy" and here is the first title I found as a true plural microscopy:

Light, polarizing, and transmission electron microscopy: Three methods for the evaluation of sperm quality.

If it is good enough for my 1N gametes, it is good enough for me.

Good luck Raghu!