CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2001

From:
David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:01:00 +0100
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me find a way to put a figure on the
extent of a network formation.  I'm not too bothered about getting
an absolute figure so long as I can compare a number of samples
and get relative figures of the extent to which a network is formed in
each case.  I can get reasonably stained relatively thick specimens
and can then produce an optical stack using a confocal
microscope.  This allows me to visualise a relatively coarse 3D
network and visually I can classify the samples.  However I need to
convince those with less of 'an eye of faith' than I have that these
differences can be expressed as numbers using a less subjective
assessment.  I've had a look at some stereology papers related to
using an optical disector in a series of sections and can see how
to get a measure of numerical density of the relevant phase and a
measure of the number of 'objects' constituting that phase.  I'm not
sure how to distinguish between a sample with large isolated
particles and one with extended areas of network.  Anyone able to
help?

Regards

David Lewis

When deference is dead, authority must earn respect.

> David Lewis, SAC Auchincruive, Ayr, Scotland KA6 5HW
> [log in to unmask]; +44(0)1292 525069;
fax +44(0)1292 525071

'The information in this email is confidential and may
be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the
addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised.

> If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to
be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  When addressed to our clients any opinions or
advice contained in this email are subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in the governing client
engagement letter.'