CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:39:43 -0400
Mike
   We have seen this effect on Leica, Nikon, and Zeiss confocal
      microscopes. There is an incompatibly between the optics of a
      confocal microscope and the optics to generate DIC images
      (described below).  A short description of the observation  has
      been published in a review article on Evaluation of Confocal
      Performance(1). For optimum resolution it is essential to remove
      the interference DIC filters from the light path.  I have included
      the description below from the review article. There is also an
      image of PSF beads and 0.5 beads in the article.
   Please contact me for additional information.
   Best wishes
   Bob

   1. Zucker, R.M. Evaluation of Confocal Microscopy System Performance.
      Cell Imaging Techniques. Douglas Taajets editor Humana Press
      Chapter 5 77-135 2005

4.23. Interference Contrast and Confocal
Interference contrast is a very useful parameter in microscopy and it
can be
combined with fluorescence. However, because the microscope system was
designed for light to traverse through two interference filters, when
this optical
system is applied to a confocal microscope there is distortion in the
fluorescence
signals. The fluorescent light traverses the interference contrast
filter and
excites the sample, and then the emitted fluorescence travels back down
through the same interference contrast filter and back through the scan
head.
The resulting image shows a duplication of very small particles (0.17 ì
m, PSF
beads) and a distortion of larger particles. PSF beads show two spots
and 0.5 ìm
beads show an egg shaped image instead of a round image. The same
distortion
that is observed on beads will occur on biological structures in cells (
see Fig.
15). For optimum resolution of data that will be deconvoluted later, it
is recommended
to remove the interference filters when acquiring an image.

Robert M. Zucker, PhD
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Research and Development
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory.
Toxicology Assessment Division
Telephone: 919-541-1585   Fax: 919-541-4017
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Mail address: USEPA,ORD,NHEERL,TAD
Developmental Biology Branch ( MD 67)
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711

Shipping address:
2525 E.NC Highway 54
Durham, NC, 27713