CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2000

From:
Michael Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:43:15 +0100
Dear Michael.
We have for our Leica TCS-4d shading-problems that are quite similar to yours. It would be interesting to know if this degree of shading is found on confocal microscopes in general. I will send you our images when you return.

Although we perform off-line shading correction on our images, it would obviously be an advantage if the microscope could be adjusted to minimize shading in the raw images. If you (or someone else) know how this could be done I would appreciate to get the information. Our images are used in ratio imaging which, however, does not eliminate shading. Isn't this to be expected?

Regards,

Michael Hansen

Michael Hansen
Section of Genetics and Microbiology
Institute of Ecology
The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University
Thorvaldsensvej 40
1871 Frederiksberg C (Copenhagen)
Denmark

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: +45 35 28 26 31

>>> [log in to unmask] 06-12-00 21:01 >>>
We would love to compare the field uniformity problems we have seen in the
BioRad Radiance 2000 and the Noran OZ to other confocal microscopes.

If anybody could provide analysis of or images of uniform fields from their
confocals, we would be happy to do the analysis.

I will be out of the lab from Dec. 8 through 14, but could accept ftp
delivered images before I leave or after I return.

An example of what we're looking at is at
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/instructions/BioRad_instructions/installation/un
iformitydec00/02.htm

BTW, at high zooms, this problem goes away.

Thanks.
Michael Cammer   Analytical Imaging Facility   Albert Einstein Coll. of Med.
Jack & Pearl Resnick Campus      1300 Morris Park Ave.     Bronx, NY  10461
(718) 430-2890       Fax:  430-8996      URL:  http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/