CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2017

From:
Michael Giacomelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2017 17:05:12 -0500

When you illuminate a single pixel, some charge inevitably leaks to
adjacent pixels.  The result of this is a roll off of the MTF.

For what it's worth, Sony and various vendor's claimed to have solved
this problem with techniques like deep trench isolation, where a deep
nonconductive barrier is etched between pixels. This is pretty
important for applications like cell phone cameras where the pixels
are extremely densely packed.  It is less important as pixel sizes get
larger, but will probably trickle down from mass market to scientific
imaging eventually.

Mike