CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1997

From:
Paula K Yu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula K Yu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:46:21 +0800
Dear All,

I do apologize for sending such a long mail to the list.  Someone from
Columbia requested informations on vendors of quartz coverslip and I have
problem replying directly to the address of the requester, so here it is.

December 11, 1995
From:  [log in to unmask]  "Marc M. Friedman"
Dear Fellow Confocalists:

Here is the list of suppliers of quartz cover slips that you
each requested.  I waited this long to send it because of the
low number of replies.  Anyway, here it is.  I will provide
updates if significant new information becomes available.

Marc

7-NOV-1995 17:02:43.60
>From an anonymous contributor
Dear Dr. Friedman,

I think it is a good idea to compile such a list. I had often
been asked for something like that and therefore already
collected some information.

First of all, "quartz" is not a well defined word. "Quartz" can
be  crystalline or synthetic. Crystalline quartz has higher
refractive  indices but, due to its birefringence properties,
is not useful for applications where polarized light is
involved, as e.g. in CSLMs.  Amongst the fused silicas, there
are also several types, the names of which are partly
trademarks, e.g. Suprasil, Herasil, Spectrosil etc. The
different types are characterized by different transmission
ranges. Suprasil, e.g., transmits at farer UV wavelengths as
Herasil. For  detailed information, I can provide you with
references. I think you won't need this, however, for your
list.

Zeiss offers two different classes of fused silica (FS)
coverslips, one class which is 350 microns in thickness and is
made for the old-style (160mm mechnical tube length,
compensating ocular resp. projective required) Ultrafluar
objectives, another which is 200 microns in thickness and is
made for the new, infinity corrected Ultrafluar objectives (for
use in deep UV, the standard tube lens in the microscope has to
be replaced with a special one).

The catalogue numbers are:

FS cover slip, 350 microns thick, round, diameter 17mm, cat.
nr.  462941,
FS cover slip, 350 microns thick, rect. shape, 30mm x 23mm,
cat. nr. 462940.

FS cover slip, 200 microns thick, round, diameter 17mm, cat.
nr. 412902,
FS cover slip, 200 microns thick, rect. shape, 30mm x 23mm,
cat. nr. 412901.

There are also microscope slides from FS:
FS micr. slide, 900 microns thick, rect. shape, 48mm x 26mm,
cat. nr. 462945.

The micr. slide was, as far as I know, specially designed for
the old FS condensor, N.A. 0.8, to be used at a time, when
fluorescence illumination still was done in transmission light
mode.

If a customer is rich enough, he might receive high precision
cover slips in fused silica e.g. from

Bernhard Halle (Nachfl.) GmbH,
Optische Werkstaetten,
D-12163 Berlin Steglitz
Germany
phone: +49 30 791 6077
fax:   +49 30 791 8527

Continental Optical Corporation,
15 Power Drive,
Hauppauge, NY 11788
phone: 516 582 3388

Please, note that these two factories normally make individual
pieces of high precision optics, which are of both, an extreme
quality and also extreme price.

I know that, for the new C-Apochromat 40x/1.2W by Zeiss there
exist special high precision coverslips (extremely constant in
thickness so to minimize spherical aberrations and
spherochromatism) and these are not cheap. I am not informed,
whether they are made from FS or from UBK-7 glass, but I
suppose they are not from FS since they are made for
wavelengths not any shorter than 350 nm.

8-NOV-1995 09:02:58.03
From:   IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "Barry Burbach"

The only place that I know of was McCrone [McCrone Accessories
& Components, Westmont, IL; 708-887-7100] which you probably
know about.  While you're at it, do you know if the refractive
index of quartz coverslips vary by manufacturer? They should be
higher than glass in general and we should use ones closest to
glass if they exist. I'd appreciate a copy of your list and any
info on CYTOP if that's changed.

                                Many thanks,
                                          Barry J Burbach
                                          Cold Spring Harbor
Laboratory

13-NOV-1995 10:21:11.73
From:   IN%"[log in to unmask]"  (Dan Focht)

I do not know the name of this firm but I do know they can make
quartz coverslips.
Their phone no is 603-474-2272

Daniel Focht

December 11, 1995
From:   [log in to unmask]
Re:  quartz cover slips

Dear Confocalists:

I have recently obtained the following information regarding
Olympus quartz cover slips, intended for use with confocal
microscopes and UV excitation:

Olympus part # LSM-360:   UV cover glass, 25mm diameter, 50
pieces  $1,621.40.

[CYTOP coverslip information added by request:]

9-JUL-1995 21:37:16.85