CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2016

From:
"Quintanar, Loren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2016 10:43:13 -0700
I doubt this was an intentional act by someone. I understand from Zeiss reps and other sources that oil leakage into the objective barrel usually happens over time. However, I can imagine that a LOT of oil getting into the side crevices would show up in the bottom lens fairly quickly, but I cannot imagine someone would go out of their way to pour oil into the side crevices (Unless they are a knowledgeable microscopy bandit that knows how to damage lenses on purpose).

We use little hair "scrunchies" to catch excess oil on our inverted microscopes as well (I even rotate colors to celebrate relevant Holidays). Besides regularly cleaning the front lenses after use, I usually take off the scrunchies about once a week and thoroughly soak/wipe them with 95% ethanol. Maybe once a month I replace them, as they do get nasty. I am sometimes surprised by the translucence of the oil that makes its way on the side of the objective. Even if I see no oil "trail," I can usually feel the oil.

I rarely let oil sit on a lens for more than a few hours (i.e. avoid overnight oil sitting). As always, the best way to prevent any damage is to regularly remind users that they need way less oil than they think!

It seems possible that there could be invisible damage in/around the front lens, which caused the oil to leak in. Then again, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how it got to the bottom lens and possibly surpassing other optics inside.

Loren