CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2012

From:
Alex Paredez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:34:49 -0500

Hello,
I am looking into a DeltaVision microscope.  The sales rep wants to sell me an
environmental chamber which controls temp and CO2.  I work on an intestinal
parasite (Giardia) that needs a hypoxic environment.  The sales rep would like me
to put a smaller chamber inside their larger cabinet and control atmospheric
conditions with a gas mixer.  He argues that by heating the entire stage and all
the objectives there will be less thermal drift and better temperature control.  I
don't know what the gas system is going to cost yet but list on the Environmental
chamber is around 11K.  I can get a complete stage top system from Pathology
Devices for around 5K more than the chamber.  I like the idea of not having a
giant box in the way when we are imaging fixed samples. Also I am not sure how
easy it is going to be to load a smaller chamber with samples when it is inside of a
larger cabinet.  I could use some advice.  I am also not set on the DV or any
particular environmental system.  That said my department has plenty of confocal
microscopes and I think deconvolution is probably the best solution for my small
cells.
Thanks,
Alex