CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2012

From:
Kenton Arkill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:01:20 -0000

Dear all

I was hoping to pick your brains for some ideas, even though it is not
confocal. An example of my issue is in a picture in the link below. We take
a glomerulus and alter the protein (Albumin) concentration of the solution
to find the rate of volume change. The lab has been doing the experiment for
years and hand trace the Glom at each video frame. Our problem is when we
change the protein concentration the lines appear (presumably due to
refractive index change?) during the important volume change part of the
experiment. It does not matter when hand tracing but it makes automatic area
detection really really hard!

Currently we use a simple fibre optic (not focused) transmission light
through the sample. I was hoping that somebody had ideas for getting rid of
these lines so it can be automated. I tried side illumination with limited
success. We once managed (we don't know how) to do an experiment without the
lines and the automation worked perfectly (to a very acceptable level).  We
would rather avoid fluorescence marking as though it works it has other
issues and would need extensive protocol tests.

Picture link (one week valid link) :
https://fluff.bris.ac.uk/fluff/u/pyxka/YQ1F63SzDlsS4bmGXnL_zQR6/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kenton

Dr Kenton Arkill

MVRL

Southwell St.

Bristol

BS2 8EJ

Office Tel. 0117 92 88367

THE BIG BANG THEORY: THE PHYSICS IS THEORETICAL BUT THE FUN IS REAL