CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2009

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:58:53 -0600
How is the fiber failing?  I assume it is breakage?  Usually this
results from a tight bend near the connectors on either end of the
fiber.  Is your fiber plastic-tube jacketed, or segmented stainless
steel?  Even with the steel jacket the ends where the fiber joins the
connector are quite fragile.  The jacket DOES help prevent bending the
fiber too much in the middle though, so if your fiber is making a lot
of tight turns on its way to the microscope that might help.  There
are also a number of third-party vendors who will make custom cable
assemblies for you.  Often you can get a good deal from one of these
companies; usually cheaper than buying a replacement from a microscope
vendor.  I also like to keep a spare fiber on hand so that if there is
a breakage I can swap it out myself to save time.

Craig