CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

From:
Jan Grawé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:01:00 +0200

Dear all,

I find that there is someting I have not
understood regarding lateral resolution in our confocal (Zeiss 510 meta).
As I understand it, lateral resolution should be
dependent on excitation wavelength and NA solely.
But what is the case if we open the pinhole a bit
above 1 AU? For some (admittedly special) samples, we use up to about 4AU.
As far as I understand it, on a 510, using a 40x
1.3 objective, 532ex/575em, zoom 1, the pinhole
is 300um, and the object-side projected pinhole
diameter is then about 2,2um. As the PMT detector
itself is not position-sensitive any light within
this 2.2um circle in the focal plane would be
detected. The practical resolution would then be
determined by the laser spot size (?).
Using the zeiss "optimal frame size" calculator
for nyqvist sampling on the above setting gives
me 2048*2048 pixels, which is the max available,
maybe it would calculate an even higher nunber of
pixels if the option was available. 2048*2048
gives me a pixel size of 0.11*0.11 um , which to
me seems small in relation to the spot size of the laser.
Is this reasoning correct, or where am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Jan Grawé
Cell Analysis Core Facility
Rudbecklaboratoriet/C5