CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1995

From:
Ian Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 08:40:57 GMT-0200
A naive question about OZONE production by lasers, which may
be of general interest.

In a few confocal labs I have seen various arrangements to
extract ozone produced by the laser. I am now setting up a
confocal system in a closed room (4mx5m, but with aircon) and
need to know whether I should install some specific extraction
system for the ozone. Several UV arc lamps are supplied in
sealed housing so that an exhaust system for ozone is
unnecessary, but what is the position with lasers ?
Specifically :
1. how much ozone does a typical KrAr laser produce ?
2. what are acceptable/safe/comfortable ozone levels ? (and
   what are the health risks)
3. what extraction system to use
   [And YES, I have asked the manufacturer, but haven't had any
   response within 2 weeks.]

Watching the mail,
Ian Harper
South Africa.