CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2022

From:
Abby Dernburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:08:28 -0700
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Agreed. I’m not sure what the user is responding to but the bright nuclear regions are “chromocenters” - regions of AT-rich satellite sequences that bind strongly to Hoechst/DAPI dyes.

Confocal images of UV excitable dyes like Hoechst/DAPI tend to have low S/N. This is in part attributable to low throughput of the excitation light through the objective and/or lightguide, and may be further exacerbated by objectives with less-than-stellar chromatic correction, since both the excitation and the emission may not be focused in the proper plane and thus miss the pinholes.

I don’t see high background in the Hoechst image you posted, but background staining with Hoechst/DAPI can be reduced by a) not including these dyes in mounting media and b) washing with buffer 1-2 times after staining, since unbound Hoecsht/DAPI does fluoresce, albeit less brightly than DNA-bound dye. At low concentrations of dye this is less of an issue. You mention that the Hoechst was diluted 1:10,000 but not its final concentration.

-Abby