CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2006

From:
Tobias Baskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:40:31 -0500

Doug,
	I am not an expert in fertilization biology in plants but I
am not going to let that stop me from conveying conventional wisdom.
Plant ovules probably do exert some sort of chemical signal but as
far as I am aware no one has ever been able to use it to manipulate
pollen tube growth direction in culture. I believe the ideas in the
field now are that the extracellular matrix (what we plant types call
the cell wall) provides essential contex for the chemotaxis to work.
What people do now is a kind of sort of dissection where they take
the whole female flower, open it partly so the tubes are growing down
the style and the ovules are splayed out a bit. But I think these are
deeply tricky experiments wih a low success rate. If your client has
been taking part in this kind of research, then fine. But if he or
she thinks he or she can set this up as a quick and dirty assay, hmm,
I wouldn't bet on it.

	One more point. Agar is mostly water. So when you put a small
object on agar it is immediately enveloped in a film of water. You
can image samples on agar without a coverslip, but of course as the
mag goes up, the optical quality goes down.

	My few pollen grains,
			Tobias

--
      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \        Tobias I. Baskin