CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2001

From:
ray hester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:35:42 -0600
Hi,

Has anyone looked at filipin staining on a fluorescence microscope using
standard dichroics (filipin excites around 350 and emits at wavelengths
similar to FITC) - specifically, if you use the UV dichroic (for 350
excitation) will you see any fluorescence in the 515 to 545 range?  I was
told by an investigator that Olympus (I believe that's the manufacturer they
spoke with) quoted a price of around $800 for a dichroic that would allow
you to visualize filipin fluorescence, but they were hopeful that they might
see at least some of that fluorescence with the UV dichroic.  I haven't been
able to find an emission spectrum for filipin.

Also, thioflavin?  I believe it excites around 430 and emits similarly to
FITC.  Again, I haven't seen an excitation spectrum and wonder if it would
excite using the FITC dichroic.

They aren't staining for filipin and thioflavin simultaneously (I hope).

Any information on seeing fluorescence from these two compounds on a
standard fluorescence microscope with standard dichroics will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray Hester
Univ. of South Alabama