CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2012

From:
"Straatman, Kees R. (Dr.)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:42:28 +0100

Dear Alex,

It depends on the duration of your time series and if the DV system has a fast hardware autofocus system which finds the bottom of your sample. If you run long time series with minutes intervals between time points it will be very difficult to keep the samples in focus if you have no environmental chamber on the microscope and no hardware autofocus system. Because of changes in room temperature and air flow (you might have air-conditioning in the room?) the whole microscope is shrinking and expanding with as result loss of focus. Using an environmental chamber will keep the whole system at a constant temperature, including your sample as the "cold" environment is far away from it. I personally like to use an environmental chamber + an stage insert which we fill with a gas mixtures. When I worked with inserts in the past we always had thermal drift but hardware autofocus systems have improved a lot since then so that might solve the problem. Will be interesting to hear if somebody has positive experience with only an heated insert and hardware autofocus.

Good luck

Kees

Dr Ir K.R. Straatman
Senior Experimental Officer
Centre for Core Biotechnology Services
College of Medicine, Biological Sciences and Psychology
http://www.le.ac.uk/biochem/microscopy/home.html

Postal address:
Department of Biochemistry
Henry Wellcome Building