CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2001

From:
"DeCoster, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:54:27 -0500
The other good thing about windows NT is you can specify which user(s) can
initiate certain functions, for example, we use an NT workstation to capture
images from our CCD camera into Adobe using a framegrabber; only the
administrator can initiate the twain function to be able to grab images.
re-booting the computer disables the function, so someone has to find the
knowledgeable person/administrator with the right password(s) to get it
going again.  This helps maintain control, as long as someone is around who
knows the system.

>Windows NT (and 2000) keeps a log of activity by user.  It lists login &
>logout by user name.  This is great to see who is using the machine, but
>other than looking at the long list, we haven't found a solution yet for
>parsing this list for automated accounting via Access or some other database.
>
>At 10:13 AM 4/26/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>>        This is not really a confocal question, but perhaps some of you
>>managers of a multiuser imaging facility can help.  We run a multiuser
>>imaging facility that houses our MRC 1024 and a Spot RT camera mounted on a
>>Nikon E-800 photomicroscope, driven by a Dell running Windows 95.  The use
>>of the Spot camera by outsiders has gotten out of control, and we want to
>>be able to limit and monitor its use in much the same way as the Lasersharp
>>program limits access to the confocal to registered users and keeps log of
>>the time in and time out for each user's session.  Does anyone know of a
>>good 3rd party utility that can limit the use of the Spot's computer to
>>authorized users?  I have heard that Windows 2000 can limit access to
>>Windows to authorized users - does anyone know if it keeps a log of the
>>time each user is logged into the machine that can be imported into Excel
>>or Filemaker?  Any help will be appreciated.  You can answer me directly.
>>Thanks a lot.
>>
>>George
>>

>>George Ring, Ph.D.
>>Dept. of Cell and Developmental Biology
>>SUNY Upstate Medical University
>>750 E. Adams St.
>>Syracuse, NY  13210-2339
>>email: [log in to unmask]
>>Tel. (315) 464-8595
>>FAX: (315) 464-8535

>Michael Cammer   Analytical Imaging Facility   Albert Einstein Coll. of Med.
>Jack & Pearl Resnick Campus      1300 Morris Park Ave.     Bronx, NY  10461
>(718) 430-2890       Fax:  430-8996      URL:  http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/

Mark A. DeCoster, Ph.D.
LSU Health Sciences Center
Neuroscience Center