CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:49:42 -0500
Hi all.

I agree with Keith, but would just like to add a bit more about why
the lines are often more evident in the DIC image.

Basically, DIC is a fairly low contrast technique but (compared to
fluorescence), the signal level (in photons/pixel) is usually very
high and the background isn't black (one can't see variations in an
absence of signal).

Consequently, laser instability (perhaps 1-2%) that is not
perceptible in fluorescence where the signal level is almost always
less than 100 photons/pixel. Under these conditions, Poisson Noise
(>10%) swamps out the laser (or fiber coupling) instability. This
instability becomes visible in DIC because the signal level may be
10-100x higher and the background isn't a zero signal area.

The point is that the laser/fiber-coupling instability is probably
always there and  in some cases, it might be worth reducing it.

Cheers,

Jim Pawley

>Hi all,
>
>Yep the confocal is pretty poor at imaging with transmission DIC, not helped
>by the laser point scanning system that often leaves lines all across the
>image [the engineers always blame mains interference, but I expect it's part
>and parcel of the line scanning galvo mirror] - I suppose at least you get
>the transmission image for free, light wise, when you scan the FITC channel.
>But as you say feeding the light back in reverse through the condenser
>doesn't help either, so the image is never as good as you see down the
>eye-pieces or via a dedicated CCD camera on one of the microscopes ports
>with standard halogen bulb illumination [in fact confocal transmission
>images are really rather poor a lot of the time - or rather 'not of
>publication quality' anyway - and many users give up on it and stick to
>fluorescence only]. A bit of optical zoom often helps though I suppose - but
>the image quality via a standard bright-field/phase contrast microscope with
>a CCD camera is in another league.
>
>Keith

>Dr Keith J. Morris,
>Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core,
>Laboratory 00/069 and 00/070,
>The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
>Roosevelt Drive,
>Oxford  OX3 7BN,
>United Kingdom.
>
>Telephone:  +44 (0)1865 287568
>Email:  [log in to unmask]
>Web-pages: http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/molecular-cytogenetics-and-microscopy

Prof. James B. Pawley,               		            Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,
FAX  608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 13-24, 2009, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/	     Applications due by March 15, 2009
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.