CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2007

From:
simon watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:16:59 -0400

Folks, This mail serves as a first announcement for QFM 2K08.

This is a one week, intensive microscopy course, which will be taught at the
Mount Desert Island Marine Biological Labs in Arcadia National Park in Maine
between May 31st and June 6th 2008.

The course covers all aspects of the technology from the principals of
fluorescence imaging to multidimensional imaging in living cells. Lectures
dealing with the theory, mechanics, and application of fluorescent imaging
methods are intermingled with extended laboratory practicals in which
students will be encouraged to use their own specimens, to optimize the
utility of the course. Our goal is to provide students with the knowledge
and expertise to implement cutting edge microscopic methods within their own
laboratories.  Equipment from all the major vendors will be available,
including 14 fully automated live cell rigs, 7 confocals (including two
non-linear systems) and all associated cameras and software.

The continued success of the course has encouraged us to run it again next
year, and as it is November it is time to start our enrollment.  Enrollment
is highly competitive (last year we had 3 applicants for each slot, and
limited to 32 students) but obviously the early applicants get some
preference.  So if feel you or your colleagues would benefit from the course
please sign up or let them know ASAP so they can sign up.  The url for the
course is http://www.cbi.pitt.edu/qfm/index.html. this site has a
curriculum, pictures from all the previous years, and an application form
(all registrations are electronic).

I look forward to hearing from interested applicants soon

Thanks

Simon C. Watkins Ph.D. FRC Path.

Professor, Cell Biology and Physiology and Immunology

Vice Chair, Cell Biology and Physiology

Director Center for Biologic Imaging

BSTS 225

University of Pittsburgh