CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:47:38 +1300
Hi John

Obviously, subtracting a single number is not correct.  If you know what
the background is due to you can subtract a model for its behavior (e.g.
if it is reflection it should follow the z-response of the microscope) .
If you have no knowledge of the backgound behavior you can directly
measure the background in a region where you _know_ there is no signal
-this could be another z-stack in a region without stained cells. If you
have a source of "non specific" signal in  the specimen (e.g. cell
autofluorescence),  you have a bigger problem as that can't be simply
subtracted -it's actually data. This will increase the number of
measurements needed to detect a difference between control and treated
cells for example.

If it's a reflection problem can't you fix it (e.g better filter
combinations and/or a polarizer)?

My 2c

Cheers Mark Cannell