CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2021

From:
Andreas Bruckbauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andreas Bruckbauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:29:20 +0000

Dear James, Craig and others,
Thanks for the detailed explanations, this all makes sense to me now. While this was initially only indented for confocal, I did a simple experiment with the widefield microscope, comparing 20x NA 0.8 and 40x NA 0.75 objectives. The images were taken with the same pixel size (2 times binning on the 40x) and the same region (cropping for the 20x). Same LED power and acquisition time settings. Interestingly, the fluorescence intensity of the larger magnification 40x was 1.8x higher!!!  When measuring the LED power, it was 2x higher out of the 20x objective.
I think the 2x higher LED power is spread over a 4x larger area in case of the 20x objective, so that the power density is half compared to the 40x objective, leading to the lower fluorescence intensity of the image with the 20x objective. The difference between the measured 1.8 and 2.0 could be assigned to the difference in NA^2  and probably slight differences in transmission. Does this makes sense?
best wishes
Andreas