CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2009

Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 00:10:14 +1100
The whole problem with this question is that there is no
single answer.  Metadata varies from the crucial (magnification,
dwell time) all the way to the trivial (user annotations).  If
it were not possible for the microscope to 'get it wrong' one
might draw a line in the sand and set a level beyond which one
could not edit.  But unfortunately on the majority of systems
out there such critical items as magnification can easily be
stored wrongly.  So to my mind everything should be editable,
so that at least one can get it right.  And given the time pressure
on using advanced equipment, a lot of users will want to sort out
their annotations at leisure.  Not to mention adding things such as
2-photon laser parameters which many systems do not record, but which
Omero presumably has space for.

The idea of having some levels which are editable only by the 'lab
manager' is not realistic.  In a large core facility like ours, who
other than the user can possibly know if the metadata is correct or
not?

The question of an audit trail is a bit of a red herring.  I assume
everyone is going to keep the original image in the equipment maker's
format, so any changes from that are going to have to be justifiable on
the basis of the records in the lab book.  I can't see any lab giving
up the paper trail any day soon.

                                                  Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net