PUBPOL-L Archives

July 1997

PUBPOL-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Steven Clift <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Clift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:05:26 +0000
   _-- Public Policy Network - Posting to PUBPOL-L --_

     Democracies Online Proposal - http://www.e-democracy.org/do
    An international initiative and partnership to promote the
    development and sustainability of online civic participation
    and democracy efforts across the world.

Dear PUBPOL Members,

Greetings.  I wanted to share details about the new Democracies
Online proposal with you.  It is being circulated to promote
partnerships and opportunities for collaboration as well as to
create a network of supporters to assist grant seeking efforts.

When I started PUBPOL-L in 1993 I had no idea where it would lead.
It seems to have launched me on a lifetime course.  For the last
three years I have coordinated the State of Minnesota's government
online project while also doing volunteer citizen work with Minnesota
E-Democracy.  Once the Democracies Online proposal secures the
necessary funding I will be re-affiliated with the Humphrey
Institute, University of Minnesota.  This will provide an opportunity
to spur PUBPOL-L forward as well.

To get the Democracies Online effort established I need your help.
Please read the project outline and visit the WWW site for more
details.  I am attempting to identify specific contacts in
foundations that may be interested in helping fund this project.
Please send your suggestions to:  [log in to unmask]

In September I will be attending conferences in the UK and France.
In late October I will likely visit Australia and New Zealand.  I am
arranging public presentations to help defray some of my travel
costs.  If your organization is interested in hosting a presentation
or you would just like to meet about Democracies Online, please drop
me a note.

To help launch Democracies Online's e-newsletter and other programs
I am planning a series of short trips in 1998 to different cities in
North America. I see institutions like the Humphrey Institute in
other cities as key sponors of 1-3 day visits.  Each visit would
consist of various events which could include a public presentation
on Democracy Online, a special session on Government Online with area
government leaders, an intensive information strategies training for
graduate students, round table discussions with faculty and students,
and an information strategy session with the institution, etc..  Each
event would help raise resources for Democracies Online and provide
crucial in-person outreach.  I will only be able to do around 8 of
these events, so sending me a note now would improve the chances
that I will make it to your city.  Later in the year I will post more
details about this opportunity.

For those who have been on PUBPOL-L for the last - 4 - years I thank
you.  For those who have recently joined, welcome.  This forum has
been essentially on auto-pilot in terms of postings, but without the
help of Greg Earhart with list management it would not be around.
Thanks Greg.

Please read on about Democracies Online.

Sincerely,
Steven Clift
PUBPOL-L and Democracies Online

                        - - - - - -

For full details, please read the full Democracies Online proposal:

 http://www.e-democracy.org/do

Highlights from the proposal include:

1.  Purpose - An international initiative and partnership to promote
the development and sustainability of online civic participation and
democracy efforts across the world.

2.  Placement - Democracies Online will be housed at the Center for
Democracy and Citizenship at the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of
Public Affairs, University of Minnesota.

3.  Core Activities - "Democracy Notes" a twice monthly electronic
newsletter will objectively cover trends, issues, and efforts related
to the convergence of democracy and information networks.  A
"Democracies Online News Service" a moderated e-mail service will have
announcements and postings about democracy online and related topics.
And the "Democracies Online Peer Networks," a set of peer-to-peer
global online communication spaces for sectors of diverse democracy
online builders, will be established.

4.  Additional Activities -  A "Democracy Online World Summit" and
"Democracies Online Foundation" will be explored.  The multi-track
international conference with major sponsors will likely be held in
October 1998 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. (The 187 country
International Telecommunications Union will hold their four year
Plenipotentiary meeting in Minneapolis from October 12 to November 6,
1998.)  A  "Democracies Online Foundation" will be proposed with a
number of global partners to establish a major funding effort to help
seed civic online democracy efforts around the world in the first
years of the next century.

5.  Current Priorities - The project is seeking grants from
foundations for its first year of core activities and development
planning.  Most useful at this moment are specific contacts within
foundations likely to have an interest in this area of activity.  The
priorities page also describes the need for in-kind donations and
support, conference co-sponsors, letters of support, and the
opportunity to sponsor presentations and outreach in your area.  For
details, see: http://www.e-democracy.org/do/priorities.html

To receive project updates and to network with other online democracy
builders, the best e-mail list to join is the lower volume Electronic
Democracy and Elections e-mail forum.  Send a message to:
[log in to unmask]  - In the message body write:  subscribe edem-elect
Your Name

I want to thank you for reading this summary and hope that you
will find the full document of interest.  Please pass this on
to others who you think may be interested.  And if you are aware
of interesting democracy online activities or stories please send me a
note and I'll save them for the future Democracy Notes newsletter.
Thanks.

Sincerely,

Steven Clift, Director
Democracies Online
3454 Fremont Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408
USA

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW:  http://www.e-democracy.org/do/
Home:  http://freenet.msp.mn.us/people/clift
Telephone:  612-824-3747
      Steven L. Clift - [log in to unmask]
      Minneapolis, Minnesota   -   612-824-3747
  http://www.e-democracy.org - Minnesota E-Democracy
  http://freenet.msp.mn.us/people/clift/ - Home Page