CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
David Vermijlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:07:01 -0800

>we quite often experience a fluorescence similar to that of DAPI or Hoechst
>in fixed cells, excited at 457 nm. Anyhow, if you label unfixed cells with
>Hoechst or DAPI, no fluorescence at all can be imaged with an excitation of
>457 nm (except some fluorescing particles in the cytoplasm, similar to the
>distribution and size of mitochondria; probably autofluorescence - but this
>suggestion still has to be proven with an unlabeled control)

What about mitochondrial DNA?
(although it is strange you don't see any nuclear staining at the same
time). Result unlableled control?

. Hence, we
>assume that the emission captured in fixed cells, when excited at 457 nm,
>might be due to excitation of the glutaraldehyde mostly used for fixation,
>but not due to the excitation of DAPI or HOECHST.
>
>Best regards
>Susanne Liebe

Best regards,

David Vermijlen

David Vermijlen
Laboratory for Cell Biology and Histology (CYTO)
Free University Brussels (VUB)
Laarbeeklaan 103
1090 Brussels
Belgium