CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
Lutz Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:52:57 -0500
Hi Chris

>could you please briefly explain how 'Blind Deconvolution' works?

Although you asked Wes I like to throw in my 5 cents as well.

With blind deconvolution the object and the PSF is estimated alternatly.
That means that with some initial assumptions of the PSF the first estimate
of the object is being made and in the next step with that 'better' estimate
of the object a new estimate of the PSF is generated and so on.
It is well known that only with noisy observations from your microscope a
blind deconvolution is not feasible. It is necessary to implement a-priori
knowledge. That is only available on the PSF. So, the constraints imposed on
the PSF during blind deconvolution are usually simple ones, like
bandlimitedness and symmetry, etc. These however must come from the optical
parameters of the lens and in a simple way represent therefore a theoretical
PSF in itself. Since these constraints can be described usually as ad-hoc
and hardly rigorous mathematically, it is hard to describe what actually
happens. Despite many factors that can't be modeled (e.g. scattering)
experience show that reconstructed PSF's are indeed reasonable good in
comparison to measured ones.
Although personally I don't see that as a big problem - but the necessity to
determine the PSF could limit the wide usage of non-blind deconvolution
systems. Users want to concentrate on their biological experiment rather
then on esoteric factors. But then the computational effort is much higher
compared to nonblind methods.
On the contrary though, it is not that difficult to acquire a PSF! There is
software available on the market (e.g. Zeiss KS 400) that will basically
allow beads much larger than the PSF itself - utilizing a constrained
iterative restoration algorithm to exploite the circular shape and size of
that bead to restore a PSF out of it. That is equivalent as to restore a PSF
with blind deconvolution on the image data, except here we have knowledge
about the object (sphere).
One other aspect that is worth mentioning is that if blind deconvolution is
carried out in small blocks, the variations of the PSF mainly in axial
dimension is taken into account as well.

I hope that answered your questions
Lutz
Lutz Schaefer
Advanced Imaging Methodology Consultation
16-715 Doon Village Rd.
Kitchener, Ontario
N2P 2A2, Canada
Email: [log in to unmask]