CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
Roland Nitschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:13:44 +0100
Dear Hana,

we have developed a perfusion chamber for this purpose, which allows
what you want and you can do microfluometry or imaging together with
measurement of transepithelial voltage and resistance. For imagimg you
can use only 40x long distance objectives as the distance between the
coverglass and the cells has to be around 1.5 mm. So you can not get the
ultimate images.
However, we have grown cells on the outer side of the filter cup, so you
do not have to image through the filter material. For more details you
can look at the papers given below:

Gordjani,N., Nitschke,R., Greger,R. & Leipziger,J. (1997) Capacitative
Ca2+-entry (CCE) induced by luminal and basolateral ATP in polarized
MDCK-C7 cells is restricted to the basolateral membrane. Cell Calcium,
22, 121-128.
Kerstan,D., Thomas,J., Nitschke,R. & Leipziger,J. (1999) Basolateral
store-operated Ca2+-entry in polarized human bronchial and colonic
epithelial cells. Cell Calcium, 26, 253-260.

We have also a chamber, which was developed by Ken Spring at the NIH.
This is excellent for high resolution confocal work, but does not allow
electrical measurements. However, only only special, relatively stiff
membranes from Annocell can be used and it is quite tricky to work with
it.

If you are at the upcoming German physiologist meeting you can contact
Jens Leipziger or me directly otherwise this is Jens e-mail address:

I think the very nice chamber from Beat Ludin can not do the job as it
was not constructed for that purpose.

Roland
___________________________

Nitschke, Roland Dr.