CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2000

From:
"m.cannell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:17:35 +1200
Dear All

We have a Zeiss LSM410 whose matrox imaging boards recently failed. It
turns
out that Matrox are still able to service these boards but the issue is,
that
if they were not then our Zeiss would be dead. This need not be the case

because if Zeiss would release the LSM410 software source code we could
recompile and link for the new matrox imaging library (corresponding to
their
current board offerings). When I asked Zeiss about source code they
refused
release it (due to the proprietary nature of the code -HaHa). I view
this as
unacceptable as it means that the future for the LSM410 is now very
limited. I
hope that you all agree that this situation should be changed. This has
no
financial implications for Zeiss (except that we may not have to try to
raise
the money for a new confocal in the near future). If Zeiss are not
prepared to
allow us to continue using our machine by not releasing the source code
or
supplying a new version then I for one would not recommend Zeiss to any
groups.

Please indicate you support or otherwise. Perhaps Zeiss will respond to
such
pressure...

Regards
Mark Cannell