CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2000

From:
Chrysanthe Preza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 15:28:39 -0500
In the March 2000 archives there were several messages about deconvolution
methods for fluorescence microscopy. I believe that some of you might find
the following information useful.

I would like to invite you to download and try our FREE software package
XCOSM (from http://www.ibc.wustl.edu/bcl/xcosm/xcosm.html)
which was developed at the Biomedical Computer Laboratory at
Washington University over the last several years.
The XCOSM interface allows the user to display and process multiple
3-D images and was written for X-windows on unix-based systems but it
can be compiled on PCs under Linux and now under windows NT (see information below).
The package enables users to generate PSFs for various microscopes
(widefield, confocal, 2-photon) or to read in experimentally determined PSFs
and to run image restoration methods such as the EM algorithm and RLLS method.

We are in the process of updating the XCOSM web page
at http://www.ibc.wustl.edu/bcl/xcosm/xcosm.html;  we have
recently added frequently asked questions and a HOWTO file with
instructions that facilitate the compilation
of the XCOSM programs on PCs with windows NTs using the Cygwin tools.
The programs can then be executed from a command line without the XCOSM GUI
which requires X-windows.  We have also added the binary files of the programs
compiled in this manner so that you can download and run under a DOS window.

A user manual for version 1 is available online  but it needs to be updated significantly
for version 2.3 that is currently available.
There are 'HELP' buttons on several of the screens that help specify parameters for
the various algorithms.  Please read these carefully.
Also, make sure you read README.FIRST once you unpack it, it has several instructions
and also some important notes (including confocal PSF issues).

Best regards,

Chrysanthe Preza

Chrysanthe Preza, D.Sc.            |  email:   [log in to unmask]
Institute for Biomedical Computing |   URL:   http://www.ibc.wustl.edu/~preza
Washington University in St. Louis |   fax:   (314) 362-0234
700 S. Euclid Avenue               | phone:   (314) 362-2938
St. Louis, MO 63110, U.S.A.        |