CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2000

From:
Mario Moronne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:37:53 -0700
Michael,

>We are planning the configuration for a multi-photon microscope.  Does
>anybody have knowledge/opinions about
>1.  IR coating/correction in Nikon vs. Olympus optics; and

Can't answer; don't know

>2.  PSF (obviously only important in this application for delivery of
>excitation) in Nikon vs. Olympus optics.
>Thanks-

MP or not, get vendor representatives to send you as many of the same
objectives as possible and using a reference sample (e.g., 100 nm
fluorescent beads), determine the PSF and brightness (coating
effects). No two objectives from the same manufacturer, let alone
different ones, will be identical. In fact, if budget is a
significant consideration, ask for a better discount on the lens of
lesser quality as long as they meet your needs.

Good luck

--

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
NanoMed Technologies