CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2000

From:
Tom Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:26:57 -0500
The other big problem with -20 freezers is that they so often are
"frost-free" these days.  The auto defrost cycles on these types of
freezers are very tough on antibodies and sensitive enzymes.  I
believe Jackson recommends diluting their antibodies in 50% glycerol
if you want to store at -20 so that they don't "freeze" but yet are
kept cold.  I don't know if that limits the damage by a frost-free
freezer but do know that the molecular biology types all stress that
their enzymes diluted in glycerol are still very labile if stored in
a frost-free freezer.

Tom

--
Thomas E. Phillips, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences

3 Tucker Hall
Division of Biological Sciences
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211-7400