CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2001

From:
Aryeh Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:53:55 +0200
Judy Trogadis wrote:

> Not exactly a confocal question, however, it is related
> to digital imaging - we are about to buy a Hamamatsu
> Orca CCD camera to capture images, viewed with both
> fluorescent and transmitted light. This seems to be a
> popular choice of camera among microscopists. We would
> like to know which are the different (favorite)
> software packages that people are using to collect,
> display and analyze the data captured by an Orca
> camera.

I use Image Pro Plus (Media Cybernetics). It is not cheap, but it has a
lot of functionality and is pretty easy to learn. They have a very
active mailing list and questions which are submitted to that list are
usually answered within a few hours, often by one or more staff people
at Media. You need to check if they have a driver for the Orca (check
www.mediacy.com). Also, this package is not designed for 3D analysis.

They also have additional add-on packages for controling various
microscope hardware and for adding microscopy specific processing
functions. I have stayed with the basic package and am happy with it.

Disclaimer: I do not get a kickback from Media Cybernetics, but I use
their package in our teaching lab and in many research collaborations,
so we are on good terms.

--aryeh
--
Aryeh Weiss                          | email: [log in to unmask]
Department of Electronics            | URL: