CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2001

From:
Joe Mazurkiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:45:04 -0500
Ian:  Warner Instrument <www.warneronline.com> makes some closed bath
imaging chambers that use coverslips for the bottom and top of the chamber.
 They have a variety of hold-up volumes, ports for gas and/or fluid
exchange and can be coupled with their heater unit to control temperature.
They're not inexpensive but work well.

I have no financial interest in the company.  I've just used their chambers
and think they work well.

Cheers.  Joe

At 01:49 PM 02/19/2001 +1030, you wrote:
>Dear Confocalists
>
>With all the recent discussion on the list about culture dishes with
>coverslip bases, I was wondering if anyone out there knows if "Rose
>Chambers" are made commercially at all...
>
>Rose chambers present an excellent solution to imaging living cells for
>long periods of time (up to months, if you need to...). They consist of
>a chamber cut out of a silicon rubber gasket about 2-3mm thick and about
>2cm diameter that have a coverslip on either side. The
>coverslip-gasket-coverslip sandwich is held together by an aluminium
>plate on either side, each of which has an opening the same diameter as
>the chamber in the gasket, and which are in turn held together (along
>with the whole unit) by clips. Difficult to describe, but very easy to
>use... The big advantage is that you can view living cells with whatever
>optics you like (phase, DIC, fluorescence, confocal) on an upright
>microscope, whilst keeping the chamber closed and sterile. Also, you can
>use oil immersion lenses and keep the oil out of everything else. If
>needs be, you can change solutions in the chamber whilst viewing it via
>perfusion lines which are placed either side of the chamber via 21G
>needles stuck through the silicon without having to undo the
>assembly...  (you also use needles to seed your cells into the chambers,
>if anyone was wondering)
>
>I last used these chambers in 1975 (ie 25 years ago - not a typo!!) -
>and they were made in our local workshop. I could set up our people here
>to have a go again, but this time around it would be easier to buy them
>if available...
>
>Any suggestions gratefully received!
>
>Thanks
>
>IAN
>

>--
>Professor Ian Gibbins
>Anatomy & Histology
>Flinders University of South Australia
>GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001
>Australia
>
>Phone:  +61-8-8204 5271
>FAX:    +61-8-8277 0085
>Email:  [log in to unmask]

Joseph E. Mazurkiewicz, Ph.D.
Center for Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience
Mail Code-136
Albany Medical College
Albany, NY  12208
Phone:  518-262-5381