CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2001

From:
Dan Focht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:29:57 -0500
Ian Gibbons and other potentially interested parties,

This is a commercial response to Ian Gibbons request for micro-observation
chamber information.
I usually refrain from repeated responses but this thread was begging at my
heart strings.

I have used the Dvorak, Sykes More, Carter Rose and other chambers.  I
found the aforementioned closed system chambers adequate when film was used
for imaging.  A time before the current advancements in microscope design,
availability of more sensitive and quantitative detectors, the popularity
of inverted microscopes (which are best suited for live-cell imaging) and
the need for a fast exchange of media with near laminar flow.  Not to
mention the lack of integrated temperature control for long term imaging.

With these advancements came a need for an advanced chamber system.  That
is why the Focht Chamber System (FCS2) was designed.  It provides a fluid
optical cavity whose internal volume and flow characteristics can be easily
modified by the user, including flow laminarity, shear forces, flow path
geometry, or no flow, uniform integrated temperature control across even
the center of the field, compatibility with all modes of light microscopy
including high N.A. fluorescence with simultaneous high N.A. DIC, and
ability to maintain cells for weeks at a time.  The FCS2 has been available
for eight years and has become the most popular live-cell chamber in
production.

I realize this may not completely apply in this case because the FCS2 is
designed for inverted microscopes however!...

The FCS2 is soon to be released in an upright form named FCS3.  I had hoped
to have it released for FASEB but that is not going to happen.  There have
been some delays due to the release of our new Series 4 Control systems.
The FCS3 should be available later this summer.  The FCS3 will have all of
the attributes of the FCS2 except that it is designed exclusively for an
upright microscope.   It uses all the same internal components as the FCS2.
We have experienced a significant demand for this system.

Bioptechs live-cell systems are specifically designed for todays advanced
imaging applications.  Our phones are answered by live human beings, not
answering machines, and we welcome any and all of your suggestions.  We
intend to remain the top choice for live cell imaging environmental
control.  Call or visit the web site for the latest technologies in live
cell environments.  www.bioptechs.com

We will be demonstrating our new T4 controllers at FASEB.  If you have
time, please stop by and see the new developments.  There has never before
been so many features built into a specimen environmental control system.
Therein proof we not only listen but respond to customers request.

As long as I am on the subject,  it does not matter what chamber you use,
if you are using oil or water objectives above or under a coverslip you
will need to regulate the objective temperature.  Bioptechs developed the
first and we believe the best commercial objective heating system.  We are
able to regulate the objective within 0.1 degree C without any excessive
heat radiating from the objective or heater.  Inefficient heat transfer
results in an upward convection of energy that can overheat the cells you
are trying to control.  The objective temperature is the dominate influence
on specimen temperature when using high N.A. lenses.

Dan
Daniel Focht
President Bioptechs, Inc.
3560 Beck Road
Butler, PA 16002
Voice 724-282-7145
Fax   724-282-0745
Web site for:
Live Cell Microscopy Environmental Control
www.bioptechs.com