CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2001

From:
Bartek Rajwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:01:28 +0100
Hello Andrea,

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Andrea J. Elberger wrote:

> WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE:
> a) My intention is to update the computer (hopefully to a DELL, but
> definitely not a Compaq) to the best it can be in terms of fast CPU and
> lots of RAM, and still be able to work with the OS2 operating system
> until we upgrade to the Windows NT based system.
> b) I would also like the system to be able to run the COMOS software,
> although I assume that there should be less compatibility problems with
> Windows NT than with OS2. Is this correct?
> c) I would also like to add on things like a CD-ROM writer, Zip drive,
> and a good-quality inkjet printer.

You can run the Lasersharp software practically on any standard
computer providing it has two ISA slots and the OS/2 compatibility.
I've built already three such computers (it's nice to have a backup
system...). They were based on ASUS or FIC motherboards. It is pretty
hard to buy an ISA-based motherboard at the moment, but I am sure
there are still some systems around that can be re-used as the BioRad
controllers (try eBay).

Here is the recipe:

A standard BioRad MRC1024 needs two (or three) ISA cards to run. One
is for the famous Shademaster graphics card, the second one is for the
scanning card and third one is so called VIS card (as far as I
remember). Sometimes you need a fourth slot which provides space for
an additional COM port needed by a confocal (some computers have only
one COM port in standard version - like some HP servers).

Instead of the Shademaster card, you should use Matrox Millennium
graphics card (PCI or AGP slot version - both work OK).  Here in
Poland I had a system similar to yours. I've got rid of the
Shademaster and put a Matrox card instead. That is our current basic
configuration. Although BioRad people still claim that PCI version of
Matrox is the only one that works well with the system, it doesn't
seem to be true. I've tested a custom-built computer with FIC
motherboard and Millennium G200 AGP version. It worked beautifully.

The optimal configuration would include an ASUS main board with two
ISA slots, a fast UltraATA disk, an ATAPI CD-ROM writer, at least 256
MB of RAM, a Pentium III or a AMD K6 processor and finally a mid-tower
chassis with two fans.

This box should be powered by OS/2 ver. 4 + latest FixPacks. I've
heard that NT version of Lasersharp is still not stable enough. I've
already ordered eComStation (the newest version of OS/2). I plan to
test it in the near future (a new journaling file system is
included!).

The alleged problems with a networking and data storage can be easily
resolved if you ask somebody who really knows OS/2. My box here is
connected to Novell and SMB networks, which means that our users can
store their data directly on the network disks during an experiment.
Both SCSI and ATAPI CD writers work well with OS/2. We use a SCSI
Yamaha burner in one system and ATAPI Teac burner in the backup
system. It needs a freeware DANIS506.ADD device driver, but it works
OK. ZIP drive - ditto. I am not sure about Injet printers, though. I
believe eComStation would support all the latest models.

Greetings,

Happy OS/2 user, Bartek Rajwa

Ps: Call me if you need any further information.

--
              [log in to unmask] | tel:+48 12 2526354
      "Does anybody else find irony in the fact that Bill Gates