CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2002

From:
Jon Ekman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:49:28 -0500

I not sure if this helps but...
We had a similar problem with our Zeiss 510 with multi Photon Mira 900.  We
saw the horizontal "banding" in our green channel while acquiring a 3channel
image (rho, FITC &DAPI).  We thought it was the from the 2P laser so we
turned it off and it was still there.  So we turn off the red channel and it
went away.  We do all of our scanning in line mode, all lasers make a pass
in the X direction before the scope advances in the Y to acquire the next
line.  If we switched to frame mode the scope scans the full X-Y frame with
one laser channel at a time before moving on in the Z direction.  When we
switched to frame scanning the horizontal banding also disappeared. Tech
support suggested changing to tighter bandpass filter sets.  We where able
to remove the banding by switching from a BP 500-550 to a BP 500-530 on our
green channel.

So check to see if the banding disappears in frame mode. If it does not go
away then you have laser power issues.