CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2002

Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:05:20 -0500

Assuming you are using a femto second laser the following should get you up
and running again:

If you pop the cover off of the Tsunami you can remove the tuning slit
between the prisms.  This way the laser can mode lock at its natural ~800nm
wavelength.  Second if you take a business card and cut a 1mm slot
lengthwise through the middle (obviously not all the way along the card),
you can stick it into a slot in between the two mirrors that direct the
beam across the middle of the assembly (path is z-shaped), so place the
card in the angled middle path.  Then align the reflected beam with the
incident beam (bright red spot on side of card facing pump end of laser -
dim spot on back of card facing microscope end of laser) and you should see
lasing.  This method works great.  I have been tuning our laser all over
the place for a few months now and have only lost the beam twice.  The
trick is to be patient and tune slowly - moving the wavelength and then
optimizing the beam then repeat.  Works great in our hands.  Once you get
good at it you can make the jumps through the water absorption lines
without a nitrogen purge.

At 10:21 PM 3/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Dear all;
>
>I tried to tune mode-locked Ti:sapphire lasers(Spectra-Physics:Tsunami) and I
>adjusted reflectors of it. Suddenly I lost the laser pathway. (Laser power was
>okay and reference power was also okay). I guess the problem is that
>optics(mirrors of the reflectors) is out of range.  I don't know exactly.
>
>If you have knowledge about this kind of problem, tell me some information.
>And also, tell me some sources(paper or book) about laser tuning.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Youngjun Kim

Derek Schulze
Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility Manager
Cancer Research Labs
Queen's University
Kingston, ON
Canada