CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2002

From:
Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 07:31:08 -0700

Martin,

I'm sorry I don't know about photon counting on a
1024, but I do know about that NT upgrade.  We had it
done for next to nothing, but I think the estimate is
$13,000.  We trashed it and went back to OS/2 that
same week!  And I didn't exactly wait for Bio-Rad to
come back to fix it.

I wouldn't suggest the upgrade to anyone for the
following three reasons:

1)NT does not support the Z-focus control, so Z-series
must be set-up with the mouse, which is VERY slow and
causes plenty of bleaching.

2)A new file extension called .pmf is the same size as
the three frames merged, and get saved with the three
frames, so every single pic is twice as large, wasting
tons of memory and data transfer time.

3)LaserSharp 3.2, is broken up into three programs and
many of the things you can do with 3.2 you can not do
with LaserSharp 2000, and so you must purchase or open
the others.

For these three reasons, I'd stay way clear of LS
2000, until they are fixed.  I've been on the phone
and net several times with Bio-Rad, and they don't
seem to have any plans to address these concerns.
Actually, we are so annoyed with Bio-Rad our next
confocal purchase will not be a Bio-Rad.

Just my 52 cents worth.

Christian