CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2002

From:
Carl Boswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 08:58:50 -0700
Meredith,
I have been working on the same question because I wanted to know the
relationship between the depth of field and the optimum z-axis step to
choose for collecting a z-series.  Please find attached  a couple of web
pages I am currently putting the finishing touches on that addresses this
issue and lateral resolution.  These will be included on our web site
http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/IPC/whole_site.htm when they are done and will
include the ability to calculate DOF for objectives/wavelengths not
represented in the chart.  As you can see, my approach is strictly
mathmatical, different than Martin's, and may provide a general answer that
doesn't take into account the idiosyncrancies of your particluar objectives.
However, for my purposes, I think that it is sufficient to answer my
question.
Hope this helps.

Carl

Carl A. Boswell