CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2002

From:
Jerzy Dobrucki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 15:41:10 +0200

Dear Alby,

please may I ak you to be so kind as to send me a copy or a
pdf of your paper quoted below?

Thanks in advance,

Jurek

On 12 May 2002 at 7:58, Alberto Diaspro wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1Ānfocal
>
> Dear Angela,
> I hope the following paper can contribute to one of the
> issues raised by Jim. Reprints are available. 1: Diaspro A.
> et al. Influence of refractive-index mismatch in
> high-resolution three-dimensional confocal microscopy. Appl
> Opt. 2002 Feb 1;41(4):685-90.
>
> Bye
> ALby

> ............... DON'T MISS FOCUS ON MICROSCOPY!
> http://www.focusonmicroscopy.org
> ---------------- Alberto "Alby" Diaspro  -
> [log in to unmask] INFM & Department of Physics, Genoa
> Univ Via Dodecaneso 33, 16146 Genoa, Italy   fax
> +39-010314218; tel+39-0103536426
> ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­-------------------------
> ---------------- Confocal and Two-Photon Microscopy:
> Foundations, Applications and Advances Alberto Diaspro
> ISBN: 0-471-40920-0  Wiley, 2002
> http://www.wiley.com/cda/product/0,,0471409200,00.html
> ----------------
>
> > Da: James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
> > Risposta: Confocal Microscopy List
> > <[log in to unmask]> Data: Fri, 10 May
> > 2002 20:47:35 -0500 A: [log in to unmask]
> > Oggetto: Re: Axial distortion
> >
> > Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> > http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
> >
> > Dear Angela,
> >
> > Just wanted to add a few cautions to Fred's and helpful
> > long reply.
> >
> > Given the absence of good instructions from Zeiss about
> > the use of the very-expensive c-Apo Water lenses, the URL
> > Fred suggests, provides a lot of useful information.
> >
> > However, it also makes some suggestions I find hard to
> > agree with.
> >
> > 1. The standard  0.17 mm coverglass that most objectives
> > are designed for use with is actually closest to a #1,5
> > not a #1, (but every box is different!)
> >
> > 2. Making a vertical scan through the coverslip to measure
> > its thickness is problematic as SA effects the apparent
> > position of the reflections.
> >
> > This is further complicated by the fact that the amount of
> > light is reflected at a water/glass interface depends on
> > the angle that the light approaches the interface. Light
> > that comes in normal (i.e., low-NA light) is only slightly
> > reflected: light that approaches near the angle
> > corresponding to 1.2 NA is almost totally reflected.
> > Consequently the reflected light signal is one that
> > consists predominantly of high NA rays, which in the
> > presence of SA, focus at a very different height than low
> > NA rays. This throws off the calculation.
> >
> > While it should be possible to adjust the collar for no-SA
> > on the far side of the coverslip, this cannot be done for
> > the near side (where only a dipping-water lens would
> > produce aberration-free images.).
> >
> > Bear in mind that the collar is calibrated in steps of 2
> > microns-of-glass- replaced-by-water. Focusing on the top
> > surface of the coverslip, involves the SA produced by 170
> [...]

Jurek Dobrucki, PhD
!!! WE MOVED - NEW ADDRESS !!!
Laboratory of Confocal Microscopy and Image Analysis
Department of Biophysics
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Jagiellonian University
ul. Gronostajowa 7
30-387 Krakow, Poland
tel. 48 12 / 252 6382
fax 48 12 / 252 6902 (indicate the name of addressee)
http://helios.mol.uj.edu.pl