CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2002

From:
pvoostve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:44:48 +0200

Dear,

I think we should be carefull to link increase of sensitivity with better
cut-off at the shorter wavelengths. Because this part of the emission
spectrum  has a hughe overlap with the absorption spectrum. An overlap of
emission and excitation will increase reabsorption of the fluorescent signal
and result into loss of fluorescence at higher concentration. If
quantitative information should be obtained we even should try to eliminate
the reabsortion as much as possible.
Due to the geometry of the microscope the numerical aperture will affect
this reabsorption phenomenon, and hence interfere with the results when we
use very steep cut-off filters near the absorption maximumum of the dye.
These are statements already made long before confocal microscopy but are
valid for all fluorescence also cuvet fluorescence.

For further information you can look at:
Rigler A: Microfluorometric characterization of intracellular nucleic acids,
and nucleoporteins by acridine orange. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica Vol 67
Supplement 267. (1966)
Tanke H., Van Oostveldt P., Van Duyn P.: a parameter for the distribution of
fluorophores in cells derived from measurements of innerfilter and
reabsorption phenomenon. Cytometry 2(6) p359-369 (1982)
Van Oostveldt P Bauwens S.: Quantitative fluorescence in confocal
microscopy. The effect of the detection pinhole on the reabsorption and
innerfilter phenomena. J.Microscopy 158(2)p121-132 (1990)

Bye

Patrick