CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2002

From:
Philippe Tessier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:47:33 -0400

One thing we did was to put all the lasers and the combiner of our new
confocal microscope in a cabinet. The front panel is made of a grid with a
HEPA filter, and there is a direct air exit on the top linked to the
ventilation system. We had to put a fan in the ventilation system as well
to aspirate the air efficiently. We added an alarm to warn us if the
cabinet temperature reaches more than 26 oC (which it never did).

This reduces the risks of somebody touching the lasers or combiner by
accident, reduces the noise and keeps the air in the room at a constant
temperature (lasers can generate 10K to 30K BTU). Keeping the room
temperature constant is important if you do time-lapse experiments.

Phil

At 08:59 02-08-02 -0400, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>listers
>
>some of you have been exchanging messages concerning new facility
>design.  we are just starting that process and it would be helpful if
>those of you who have done this could share your experience with me.  we
>
>are designing a multi-user core facility with TEM, SEM/EDS, Confocal,
>fluorescence and possibly AFM.  I'm aware of the usual concerns about
>vibration, electric fields, etc. but i would certainly benefit from
>learning the "finer" points that you have run into in your process.
>
>thanks in advance.
>
>tbudd
>

>--
>Dr. T. Budd
>Chair of Biology
>St. Lawrence University
>Canton, NY 13617
>Phone = 315-229-5640
>Fax = 315-229-7429
>E-mail = [log in to unmask]
>
>This message is made of 100% recycled electrons!

Philippe A. Tessier, Ph.D.
Professeur sous octroit
Centre de Recherche en Infectiologie
Centre de Recherche du CHUL