CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2003

Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:33:43 +1100

I'd have to second this!  I'm writing this from Photonics West -
Andrew Dixon from Bio-Rad is here and even chaired a session - but
he didn't give a paper!.  Leica, Zeiss and Becker & Hickl all presented
papers.  Attempts to get a private explanation of the technology from
Andrew were met with promises - but no results.  I did gather that
Chroma were involved with the development of the system.  Surely any
patents involved must have been submitted by now, so I can't understand
the reason for this secrecy.

The Leica SP system seems to have an advantage over the Zeiss insofar
as the whole of any desired spectral range can be sent to one PMT
without any losses to dividers.  On the other hand the parallelism
of the Zeiss means that a spectrum can be obtained more quickly.  It
would be really nice to know where the Rainbow fits in.

                                                          Guy

--
Associate Professor Guy Cox
Electron Microscope Unit, F09