CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2003

From:
Nico Stuurman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:18:50 PST

> We have two Noran Oz, a PE Ultraview and a Visitech QLC100.
>
> I agree, the Noran was way ahead of it's time. Great hardware, clunky
> software - not just because of the "unfriendly" Silicon Graphics
> platform. Trying to get the software to do dual channel imaging is
> quite something, not at all  intuitive. It will however, do high
> speed *simultaneous* dual channel imaging, something the camera based
> confocals have yet to sort out. And of course, as you say, FRAP

Hmmm.  We are about to set this up using the Yokogawa scanhead and the
Optical Insights Multi-view box.  I expect no problems, especially since
we build this set-up at the last ASCB meeting and have been very happy
with the Multi-view box in other applications (including simultanuous
single molecule imaging).  So, I don't think this last statement was true...

(and
> therefore FRET that uses photobleaching) cannot be done with a camera
> based system.

True, the only way would be to have a second optical path that does the
bleaching.  Would be nice (and not impossible to build).