CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2003

From:
"Mcnamara, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:17:55 -0700

Hi Susan,

 One day (or less) Software demos are pretty useless. Get both software
installed, get the basics from the vendor (i.e. open, deconvolve, 3D render,
color combine) some Z-series, make some measurements, save them), then try
out the software for at least two weeks. One month is better. Preferable to
"try before you buy" than to do a "conditional purchase order", since the
former does not require dealing with purchasing.

  Since you are in a core facility, an excellent test is that after trying a
software for a week, you should try training someone else on "the basics" -
i.e. a non-computer geek biologist. Being on the "teaching side" of the
learning curve is a great test of whether you want a software package in
your facility.

  If both packages end up being equally good, pick the one that gives the
bigger multi-copy discount, since it would be nice to standardize on one
analysis package.

Best wishes,

George
p.s. As pretty as the images are from my microscopes, cameras, confocal
scope, etc., once the image gets saved to disk the dominant software
post-acquisition is simply Adobe Photoshop. Of course it has its own
learning (teaching) curve too.

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles - Image Core
4650 Sunset Blvd, MS 84, SRT 1016
Los Angeles, CA 90027
323-669-2548 voice
323-251-8878 cell
323-668-7921 fax
http://shelia/image     Image Core Web (CHLA Intranet)
\\ntapps49\home Image Core Server User Home (Intranet)
\\ntapps49\appnotes     Image Core Application Notes (Intranet)
http://www.childrenshospitalla.org/research.html CHLA Research Institute
http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara  Personal web site