CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2003

From:
James Chalcroft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:43:26 +0200

Hi list,

We are getting down to the nitty-gritty of ordering a new system and some rather interesting options are possible, but I do not recall seeing them aired so far in the list.

One is the 594nm HeNe "orange laser", which is touted by Leica to fill the gap between the other commonly-used excitation lines. Has anyone experience to report, good or bad regarding this laser?

Both Zeiss and Leica offer the possibility of storing/replaying user-defined command sequences by means of an optional software macro editor. Since this is a software "extra", has anyone experience of the advantages or foibles of running macros. Is a macro-loaded software version inherently more unwieldy and slower-running than the same program without this facility. I assume that the code incorporating macros must contain lots of connection points/links accessible to say Microsoft Visual Basic, which might have the effect of reducing system speed? Could it become a problem when fast collection of physiological data is needed? By the way, does anyone seriously use the macro feature?
Cheers and TIA,

Jim